Tuesday, 18 December 2012

The eyes within West Pokot region



Working in Western and North Rift region many at times gives me an opportunity to explore these unknown places.
The region and the people’s cultures vary as you move from one place to another.

I had a chance to tour West Pokot region. It took a little thought before making the decision. At first my pals and colleagues told me it was a road trip to a home. mmmh…, but when I asked where, they said it was Kapenguria. The thought made me to accept.

West Pokot District according to Wikipedia is in the Rift Valley Province of Kenya. Its capital town is Kapenguria.
The Pokot community, inhabit the area.

Men dominate the decision-making processes within the society, and a council of elders is responsible for maintenance of law and order, security, social disputes, ceremonies, and decisions regarding agriculture and livestock.

The Pokot are polygamous, with the number of wives in proportion to a man's wealth. This practice is viewed as a means of maximizing the productive and reproductive capacity of the society.

The area from what I found out has different places: Alale, Sigor, Lelan, Kongelai, Chepareria, Chesegon, Kacheliba, Kapenguria, and Kasei.

Let me not dwell much on the literature but this will be of help in understanding that….  

CONFLICT AND CULTURAL CHANGE, THE POKOTS













Reactions:

0 comments: